James Sweet

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

Thanks for the advice. I called Panasonic support today. They have
a "get an estimate" fix line; when I finally got put in touch with
someone I gave her the model number and her immediate response was
"It'll be $200 to fix". I said "I haven't told you what's wrong with it
yet" and her response was "for that model, it will be $200 to fix". I
told her that it would be less expensive to buy a new one, and she said
"suit yourself." I said it didn't reflect well on her company that I
have to throw out the unit after a year and a half, and she said "have a
nice day".

I called the service rep she recommended, and he at least asked what
the error code was. He also thought that the error code was likely to
be an expensive part but without looking at it he couldn't be more
precise. And without a $25 evaluation fee he couldn't be more precise.

So it sounds like Panasonic doesn't give a rats ass how it looks and
it will be cheaper to buy a new unit than have the old one fixed. Not a
recommendation for Panasonic, certainly.

No it doesn't look good at all, but they're certainly not alone. I suspect
any company you call about a consumer DVD player will act similarly
unfortunatly.