RKG

Eddie Munster wrote:

I too am in Souther Ontario and don't know what to use. When your
certain either way, please speak up and let us know what you think. I
can't find denatured alcohol anywhere. But I seem to recall that LV
sells something called shellac thinner?

John

RKG wrote:

Most of the directions I have seen for shellac flakes call to
dissolve them in denatured alcohol. Is there a problem with using
methyl hydrate. It is certainly cheaper and easier to find around
here. I've tried it on some small stuff and don't see any difference
immediately.

Rick

I'm trying both right now, as far as dissolving the flakes I see no
difference and both dry equally fast. The methyl hydrate appears to be
a little more toxic but compared to some of the other finishes we use
it's not bad. The LV website lists their shellac thinner as a mixture
of ethenol methenol - basically denatured alcohol. A 32 oz can
-slightly less than 1 L is 10.95 a 4 L jug of methyl hydrate at my local
home hardware is 7. less then 1/4 the price.

Rick