The Natural Philosopher

Default Intelligent NiCd/NiMH charger

John Stumbles wrote:

I'm looking for a charger for AAA, AA and C size (and ideally also PP3) NiCd
and NiMH batteries which fast charges with delta V sensing to cut off each
cell when fully charged. AIUI the delta V which signifies full charge is
different for NiCd and NiMH (-ve for NiCd, +ve for NiMH?).

I think there's a Varta charger which does this: there was a Green shop in
Hastings doing them for £20 last year but they've closed now and don't have
any stock left. I'm told there's someone doing them at a subway under
Waterloo Station (at an address that sounds rib-ticklingly like the address
to send the money to in Monty Python's Blackmail :-).

Maplin do a 'Vanson' (who they?) charger for £30 but it only talks about -ve
delta V. (Vanson's website - quovadis.tv doesn't even mention this charger,
and other retailers' websites say nothing except claiming intelligence of
charging).

Any suggestions?

Go to a model shop, or look at some of the online model shops.

I have modified all my rechargeables to be 'model compatible' so now
have a vast array of interconnection leads to plug everything into
various chargrs I sue for eth electric aeroplanes.

Biggest problem will be e.g. cell holders to charge multiple cells. I
solved this my using packs of cells with model style connectors on them
and throwing away teh 'in appliance' cell holders. This may not be
possible for some kit.

Check out brands like Schulze, Supernova etc etc.

Good chargers ain't cheap tho. Expect to pay up to 50 squids for a
halfway decent one, and up to 500 for a top of the line bells and
whistles one.

Conversely, the one I use most is sold for car racers at about £25, and
does 6-8 cells off the mains at 3.5A with delta peak - its a bit hard on
the 500ma/h and 1100 ma/h cells, but fine for AA sizes and up. But you
can always trickle them...

Bonus points for one which runs off a 12V supply too!

tia

--
John Stumbles