Peter Twydell

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:39:23 UTC, "Blair Malcolm"
wrote:

This may not be the correct news group to ask this question but does anyone
know how I can prevent these frequent and tiresome Spam calls?

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

It really does work.

Not always. I still get calls showing up as International, usually with
an Indian voice. They often sound baffled when I mention the TPS, but
usually hang up.

However, the worst case was a few weeks ago, when a woman with an
American accent called. This is the paraphrased conversation:

She: Hi, this is Jane Doe, did you get my e-mail?
Me: Yes. I deleted it because I don't read spam.
She: Have you noticed how your phone call costs are increasing?
Me: I'm not interested. I'm moving house soon anyway.
She: Well, would you like...
Me: This number is registered with the Telephone Preference Service and
you shouldn't be calling it.
She: I'd like to tell you about our VOIP service.
Me (irritated): I told you, this number is registered with the TPS and
you are committing an offence by calling it.
She: Well, we can save you...
Me: (now very irritated): I told you, You are committing an offence!
She: Well, our service...
Me (incandescent): GO AWAY (or something similar). (hangs up)

Next time I'll try to stay calm long enough to get their details and
fill in the on-line complaint form, not that it'll help much for
international calls.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!