Allan Adler

(DoN. Nichols) writes:

When you are through with this, *you* will be the person who
others are directed to when questions on the Unimat-1 are asked.

Oh, no, not that!!!! I had better rethink this....

Note that the Taig at least *used* to be offered with an
optional milling attachment.

I was hoping for something like that but the only thing I saw at the
Taig site was a separate milling machine costing a lot more than the
fully functioning lathe. On the other hand, it occurs to me that if
some other company sells an inexpensive milling machine, say for around
$300, that might be a possibility, together with the no-frills Taig lathe.

What do you think of the improvised milling machine shown at

http://members.rogers.com/lenwinn/mill_wlathe.html

He says it cost him about 300 Canadian dollars to modify the drill press
for this purpose, presumably including the vise he attached to it. I think
he means also including the cost of the drill press. I don't know what it
would cost now or what equipment would be needed to carry out this project.
It seems possible that he didn't need anything but the drill press to carry
out the modifications. Well, maybe he needed to tap some threads by hand.
It doesn't look to me as though he had to do any welding, not that I can
really tell.

He also says he started off with a Taig lathe that he used for his
lathe work and milling. I'm not sure whether he is talking about
the attachment you mentioned or the milling machine he cooked up
out of the drill or something else, for example something like what
is described at:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/tmilling.htm
--
Ignorantly,