I don't know what the hell to make of this.
My old EP recorded tapes have muffled audio
all of a sudden. Yet I put in a professionally
recorded tape that's in SP mode and the audio
plays fine.

Huh??????

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Mcfly:
The (linear) audio at EP speed is ALWAYS a quality issue because the
slightest tape perberbations, mechanical problems, tension
irregularities, pinch roller and guide condition and of course the A/C
Head cleanliness and alignment can drastically affect the linear audio
performance.
The very first thing to do is to have your machine professionally
cleaned with special attention paid to the things I mentioned
above..... then I would do a test with a brand new tape to see if the
audio is OK and that the machine is not edge damaging the tape and that
the tape is "running" past the A/C head properly.... for this test do
not use a tape that you have used before.
electricitym
..