john

I've got a question (or a few) for the experienced machinists who
generously contribute so much to this group.

At my school there are two machine shops. The kind machinists once
told me about the versatility of the vertical mills. They explained
how the upper components can swivel, turn and be repositioned. The
ram? it appears can be moved 90 degrees away from the table off to the
side or behind the mill, and the head can be pivoted into compound
angles.

My question(s): Does anyone ever actually use these non-standard
positions for the mill? Doesn't the rigidity get lost at such long
lever arm lengths away from the table? Anybody got some pictures? What
is actully worked on in these settings? How is it mounted? This stems
from concluding you can't put a v-8 350 block on the table of a small
mill and work on it.

A lot of machinists don't even know that you can rotate the top of the
head where the motor mounts around the quill axis to get better
clearance when you tilt the head back or to the side.

John