Grunff

webster72n wrote:
With my conventional, american standard oil burner for a hot water
furnace I am experiencing infrequent, delayed ignition.
At times it ignites properly and most of the time the ignition is more
or less delayed by 3 - 5 or even more seconds, resulting in fueloil
fumes residue.
All settings for the electrode are proper.
The nozzle is new and was installed without bare-hand touching.
Could the deminished quality of the oil have anything to do with it, or
is the cause to be found somewhere else?
A positive answer will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

I'm afraid it's unlikely anyone here will be familiar with that
particular burner, so you may not get a specific answer.

However, in general, if you're experiencing delayed/unreliable ignition
it will be due to (surprise!) poor ignition system. What do the
electrodes look like? Are they in good condition? Corroded? Is the gap
ok? How about the ignition module? how old is that? Insulation in the
transformer can degrade with age, so it may need replacing. What about
the HV cable from the ignition module to the electrode? Is the
insulation on that intact?

--
Grunff