John Rumm

Bob Mannix wrote:

I fear Tony is correct. Most of these new rules come under the heading of
secondary legislation. To be fair, primary legislation (a new act) is
incredibly expensive so, leaving aside any assessment of the sense of what
is being proposed, it is sensible to allow for "minor" changes (we can argue

This government is very fond of the "statutory instrument". This is
"enabling legislation" that allows for just this type of behaviour, once
it is in place, you can then sweep through additional annual changes
with far less scrutiny than is required for primary legislation.

IIRC it was usualy used to allow things like budgets to be automatically
enacted each year, but seems to be getting far more use as a way of
"burying" unpopular legislation out of conspicuous public view.

--
Cheers,

John.