Robert Nichols

In article .com,
wrote:
:I've got a question (or a few) for the experienced machinists who
:generously contribute so much to this group.
:
:At my school there are two machine shops. The kind machinists once
:told me about the versatility of the vertical mills. They explained
:how the upper components can swivel, turn and be repositioned. The
:ram? it appears can be moved 90 degrees away from the table off to the
:side or behind the mill, and the head can be pivoted into compound
:angles.
:
:My question(s): Does anyone ever actually use these non-standard
ositions for the mill? Doesn't the rigidity get lost at such long
:lever arm lengths away from the table? Anybody got some pictures? What
:is actully worked on in these settings? How is it mounted? This stems
:from concluding you can't put a v-8 350 block on the table of a small
:mill and work on it.

Not an engine block, but I once had the base casting for my "$200"
bandsaw mounted on the table of my little Clausing 8520 mill so that I
could re-bore the pivot holes. The mill's ram was pivoted 90 deg and
the head tilted 90 deg so that the quill was horizontal and pointed
directly toward the front of the machine. Looked ridiculous to see that
casting up there on the table, but it worked just fine. The lever arms
in that position aren't any longer than normal, just oriented
differently.

It's not the sort of capability you use often, but when you need it, you
_really_ need it. Simple tilting of the head is a lot more common.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"