On 11 Dec 2004 19:44:15 -0800, wrote:

My question(s): Does anyone ever actually use these non-standard
positions for the mill? Doesn't the rigidity get lost at such long
lever arm lengths away from the table? Anybody got some pictures? What
is actully worked on in these settings? How is it mounted? This stems
from concluding you can't put a v-8 350 block on the table of a small
mill and work on it.

Absolutely! I've used the tilts and pivots for many things, angled
holes in extruder plates, dies, even just milling odd angles on the
edge of pieces. Milling rubber shredder knives to sharpen them, a lot
of other uses. The further out the ram is extended, the more rigidity
is lessened, but it becomes a matter of using common sense in choosing
cutters and depth of cut. Swiveling the head to the side so a long
piece can be clamped to the edge of the table or on an angle plate,
many uses for the tilts, swivels, pivots.