willshak

On 12/11/2004 11:02 PM US(ET), Redlocks took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I have a handtruck which I use to transport my DJ equipment in and out of
the venues where I DJ special events. The other evening I noticed that one
of the tires had separated from the rim. Upon more careful inspection i
noticed that it was actually a tubeless tire. Do I need to take any special
measures when filling it with air. Unfortunately I wasn't able to build
sufficient pressure with a hand pump

Thanks.

John

The reason that the hand pump won't work is that the tire bead is not
making contact with the rim all the way around the tire. You can't pump
fast enough to build up pressure to expand the tire so that it contacts
the rim all around.
One way to expand the tire without high pressure air is to wrap the
tread with one of those yellow tie down straps, the one that has a
handle to tighten would be a better choice, but the one with the
military web belt buckle type tightener may work. The idea is to
compress the tread so that the bead bulges out to contact the rim all
around. Once you get enough pressure in the tire to keep the bead
against the rim, unbuckle the strap.
Your second solution would be to remove the tire, or take the whole
handtruck to the local service station and use the air pump there. Bring
a quarter ($.25) with you in case they have a coin operated pump.