Roger Shoaf

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote in message

But onto your suggestion about just mounting into the edge of the MDF.
The cabinet door won't be super-heavy, just a 17'' wide by 28'' tall
poplar frame w/ 1/8'' mirror glass in it. But given that most of my
woodworking projects show the hand -- and foot -- of my craftsmanship, I
would not be surprised to have the MDF split when installing the screws,
even with careful pre-drilling. Or see one of the hinges come loose a
few years down the road. Screwing through the side of the frame rather
than into the edge just seems more secure. Or maybe I'm just ascribing
to MDF the weakness of particle board?

First off MDF is not particle board. Particle board is woodchips and glue,
MDF is saw dust and epoxy.

Use a piano hinge, secure it to the door with wood screws, and you can drill
and tap the MDF to take machine screws.

Wth this setup I bet the door would brake long before the screws pulled out
of the MDF.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.