Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/11/2004 2:56 PM willshak wrote:

On 12/11/2004 5:32 PM US(ET), Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott took
fingers to keys, and typed the following:

snip

But onto your suggestion about just mounting into the edge of the MDF.
The cabinet door won't be super-heavy, just a 17'' wide by 28'' tall
poplar frame w/ 1/8'' mirror glass in it. But given that most of my
woodworking projects show the hand -- and foot -- of my craftsmanship,
I would not be surprised to have the MDF split when installing the
screws, even with careful pre-drilling. Or see one of the hinges come
loose a few years down the road. Screwing through the side of the
frame rather than into the edge just seems more secure. Or maybe I'm
just ascribing to MDF the weakness of particle board?

If you are going to use the 1/2" hinge screws into the MDF ends, then
yes, they may pull out. But, you are going into the MDF at its greatest
depth. You can use 1-1/2" or longer screws and probably be able to hang
yourself from the doors, or at least bend the hinges trying. :-).

Sounds like a plan!

Sound of me hanging myself from the doors: Hungghhh!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus