Lee Michaels

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote in message
(Cross-posted to rec.woodworking, alt.home.repair)

A little bit of amateur bathroom remodeling/cabinetry going on here. And
a little bit of finding myself backed into a (hardware) corner by not
researching hinges before starting the project.

I've built a new medicine cabinet flush into the plaster wall above the
sink. The cabinet sides are made of 3/4'' MDF and I plan to hang a
cabinet door over the front of the cabinet, same width as the outside
dim of the cabinet.

I want as little hardware to show as possible, but the stiles on the
cabinet door are narrow, to accommodate a mirror and its backing, so I
can't use "Euro" hidden hinges. A 2'' narrow loose pin "utility" hinge
would do the job but the ones I've found would require drilling into the
edge of the cabinet's MDF sides -- I don't get a real sense that this is
going to be very secure.

I have a sketch of the kind of hinge I'd like to use -- it's like that
2'' utility hinge but with one long leaf, folded back. The local HD and
Lowe's have no such thing, and it may not exist. Please see my
admittedly crude drawing at

http://users.adelphia.net/~elliottfamily/hinge.gif

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott