Jack Hayes

Default Onan DJE generator update (electrical panel)

"Ignoramus30505" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:57:39 GMT, Martin Riddle

wrote:

Looks good. I found that epoxy paint makes a good water-proofer on
wood and should hold up to oil as well.

Thanks for the tip. I will use that. Is it available at home depot?
Here are the photos of the electrical panel that I just made:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/panel/

It has a bunch of nice military surplus gauges and 2 120V outlets and
1 220V outlet.

I am going to connect it now and then I will be ready to give this
genset a good load test outdoors.

I may add more gauges later, the 12V voltmeter, an hourmeter, and fuel
tank level gauge.

Cheers

"Ignoramus22980" wrote in message

Metalworkers and woodworkers may be interested in the cushioned
carriage that I built for this generator.

See he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/Carriage/

Some closeups reveal detais on how it is mounted. Basically everything
where there is a tearing sort of stress, is bolted.

The generator runs great, although it is missing the shutoff switch. I
switch it off by hand by pressing on the fuel shutoff lever. I ordered
a new solenoid from an FW Murphy dealer and hope to get one on Monday
and screw around with it. The pleasant surprise is that, even in its
current shape, it is basically not very loud, not louder than my
snowblower. I will run both tomorrow and compare to know for sure.

So, with some extra soundproofing, I may end up with something nice
finally.

When it runs, the top platform vibrates a lot, the bottom one vibrates
a lot less. I plan on having it lifted off the ground a bit, like on
blocks, for the final installation. I can move it about and turn it by
lifting one side. Thanks to all my deadlift exercises.

I will give the genset a good load test tomorrow and will build the
electrical panel.

Does this generator have slip rings and brushes, or is it brushless?

Jack ( 2 old Onan 3KW Diesels)