op4_camper

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:sO6ud.542317$D%.533628@attbi_s51...

"High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"meirman" wrote ...

I bought this Craftsman lawnmower second hand, and when I
got home, the mower looked even nicer than I thought, but
had no spark plug. I took plugs out of my two old mowers
(which don't work or don't work well) and the hole was too
big for them. I went to Sears and all the plugs they had
for sale had the same size threads as the ones I had
tried, 1/2 inch in diameter, which I guess is 14MM.

I think the hole is 18MM now.

Just weld it shut, then drill and re-tap the threads.

Um, he was looking for practical advice. Meirman, forget
Sears, go to an automotive parts place like Autozone or small
engine repairman. They should be able to help you.

- HPT

What's ****ing impractical about that? I do it all the time. Just weld
it shut and redrill. Use MIG or TIG, take your time to avoid voids (pun
not intended), then drill it and thread it. Use an end-mill to spotface
the seat for good seal.

piece of cake.

If hes asking for help on a newsgroup then theres no way he has the knowlege
or equipement to that.
So you think he has a Tig or mig wir with argon gas.
A bridgeport/cnc/knee mill.
A four flute center cutting mill.
A spot drill
A drill for the tap.
Let alone clamping it and indicting off of something to set zero.
All that for some crap old mower.

I work at a machine shop and I still wouldnt waste my time with what your
suggested.
I would use a 18mm plug. Actually I wouldnt waste my time on a
sears/craftsmen mower.
I would work a few hours ot and buy a new mower.