Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob wrote:
What is a percolation test?

It's a test usually done for people who are going to install septic
systems, to see how close to the ground the water table lies.

Right, and when I mentioned it, I wasn't sure if it made sense in your
situation. I've been watching the results of such a test on a friend's
property. He's trying to get the construction of his house underway, and the
perc test is driving EVERYONE nuts. The house is on a rise about 50' above
the rest of the property. The perc test (for the cesspool) is *not* going
well. The hole's filling up with water to a level which would be about
halfway up the basement walls, if the hole were right next to where the
house will stand. In two places down the 50' slope, two other holes are bone
dry.

At first, he thought the building inspector was being overly picky, but when
he considered the connection between the test results, and the misery of a
permanently wet basement, he changed his tune. So, the tests go on and he's
seriously considering hiring a geologist! Otherwise, he's afraid the house
will never be built.

I'm mentioning all this simply to point out that he movement of water
underground sometimes makes no sense at all.