mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:16:47 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hello Mac

Mac if you do not make turnings bigger than say 16" D you will in my
opinion be better off with the Talon, the shaft size on the Shopsmith is
only 5/8" D., I think, Right ?
And I would not put on more weight than needed, it takes away from the
weight and size of the wood you will be able to turn, The steadiness of
the Shopsmith is not that great to start of with, I understand ?
And yes the Stronghold is one heck of a chuck, if you want/need more
holding power, go for the Stronghold.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Leo.. I have no idea what I need, this will be a completely new
process for me..
I've only turned using face plate, spur or screw center.... I just
figure that if I want to keep learning & turning, I need a chuck...

I got outbid on the Stronghold, so after shopping on the web for a few
hours I ordered the Talon from Shopsmith... at their sale price of
$191 including 5/8 SS adapter, it was the best deal that I could find
in a hurry..

As far as steadiness, it has been great for me for over 20 years, but
I haven't been real sensitive to it, either..
I understand that there is a quill upgrade that doubles the bearings
or something, but I haven't needed it yet... (actually the first time
in quite a while that I've used the SS for anything other than routing
or drilling)