mac davis

Default Lathe Chuck question:

Need help again... thanks for the advice before!

I was about to buy the One-way Talon on sale at shopsmith....
$191 including adapter for shopsmith adapter...

Saw the other one-way, the stronghold, there for $249 on sale...

I have a bid in on ebay for a used stronghold, and was wondering if
there was any "downside" to getting what looks like the larger model,
over the Talon..

Shopsmith didn't list jaw size or anything for either chuck, but said
that the Stronghold was larger and had "more mass for shock
absorbtion"..
I translate that as putting up with my clunks and catches....

I know that 2 or 3 folks here recommended the Talon, but any good/bad
opinions of the Stronghold?
thanks,
mac

Real men don't buy kindling, they make it themselves out of exotic
woods, on machines costing thousands of dollars..

billh

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

The Stronghold is a well-named chuck and is indeed bigger than the Talon. I
think a Stronghold weighs in at about 8 lbs. It is a fine chuck that will
take a lot of abuse. A downside is that it is bigger than the Talon and a
lot of turners will tell you that the smallest chuck that will do the job is
the best one because it hides less of the workpiece so you can work a larger
area. People with smaller lathes will also use up some of their limited
power to spin the heavier Stronghold. Unless you have a big lathe (14"
swing or so) then the Talon is all you should require. In Bill Grumbine's
tremendous new DVD he uses a Talon on his big Poolewood to turn a fairly
good size bowl.
Billh

mac davis

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:14:48 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

hmm... the shopsmith claims 16 1/2" swing, but I can't imagine ever
turning anything that big...
of course, until last night, I never thought that I'd turn a bowl out
of firewood and leave exposed bark, either..

Your comments will influence how high I go on the bid, Bill...
If the Stronghold would be better for me than the Talon, my plan was
to bid up to the sale price of the talon for the used stronghold...

Not sure now if I'm willing to go quite so high for it, now..
thanks for the quick reply!
Leo Lichtman

"billh" wrote: (clip) People with smaller lathes will also use up some of
their limited power to spin the heavier Stronghold. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People with smaller lathes may worry about using up a little more of the
room between chuck jaws and tailstock. Power consumption by the heavier
chuck is higher only while the lathe is coming up to speed, and even then
the difference is trivial. Don't worry about it.

Andrew Barss

If the auction doesn't turn out for you, consider getting a refurbished
Nova (of whatever model you want) from Tim Geist. His phone number is in
a previous post by me on the Nova cast iron legs.

-- Andy Barss

mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:56:01 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"billh" wrote: (clip) People with smaller lathes will also use up some of
their limited power to spin the heavier Stronghold. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People with smaller lathes may worry about using up a little more of the
room between chuck jaws and tailstock. Power consumption by the heavier
chuck is higher only while the lathe is coming up to speed, and even then
the difference is trivial. Don't worry about it.

well, I have like 36" to play with and I can't imagine turning
something that long.. lol
I bid $180 for it, I'll know tomorrow night..
thanks for the info, Leo..
mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:00:19 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

If the auction doesn't turn out for you, consider getting a refurbished
Nova (of whatever model you want) from Tim Geist. His phone number is in
a previous post by me on the Nova cast iron legs.

-- Andy Barss

Cool... I'll know tomorrow..
the plan was that if I didn't get the one on ebay, I'd buy the talon
on sale at shopsmith, but I'm open to refurb...
I always buy refurb or reconditioned if I can.. my feeling is that
they get more quality control on the way out..

Leo Van Der Loo

Hello Mac

Mac if you do not make turnings bigger than say 16" D you will in my
opinion be better off with the Talon, the shaft size on the Shopsmith is
only 5/8" D., I think, Right ?
And I would not put on more weight than needed, it takes away from the
weight and size of the wood you will be able to turn, The steadiness of
the Shopsmith is not that great to start of with, I understand ?
And yes the Stronghold is one heck of a chuck, if you want/need more
holding power, go for the Stronghold.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:

Need help again... thanks for the advice before!

I was about to buy the One-way Talon on sale at shopsmith....
$191 including adapter for shopsmith adapter...

Snip

mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:16:47 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hello Mac

Mac if you do not make turnings bigger than say 16" D you will in my
opinion be better off with the Talon, the shaft size on the Shopsmith is
only 5/8" D., I think, Right ?
And I would not put on more weight than needed, it takes away from the
weight and size of the wood you will be able to turn, The steadiness of
the Shopsmith is not that great to start of with, I understand ?
And yes the Stronghold is one heck of a chuck, if you want/need more
holding power, go for the Stronghold.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Leo.. I have no idea what I need, this will be a completely new
process for me..
I've only turned using face plate, spur or screw center.... I just
figure that if I want to keep learning & turning, I need a chuck...

I got outbid on the Stronghold, so after shopping on the web for a few
hours I ordered the Talon from Shopsmith... at their sale price of
$191 including 5/8 SS adapter, it was the best deal that I could find
in a hurry..

As far as steadiness, it has been great for me for over 20 years, but
I haven't been real sensitive to it, either..
I understand that there is a quill upgrade that doubles the bearings
or something, but I haven't needed it yet... (actually the first time
in quite a while that I've used the SS for anything other than routing
or drilling)
Bob

Lee Valley has the Talon. You also get the following that is included with
it:
The chuck kit includes an adapter, standard 1-1/2" woodworm screw, #2 jaw
set (grip capacity from 1-5/8" to 2-7/8" externally and 2" to 3-3/8"
internally), chuck key, and a hex wrench. Weighs about 3-1/2 lb.
This is the cheapest price I've seen for it.

wrote:

[...]

mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:59:08 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

yeah, I saw that, Bob.. still 8 bucks more than the sale at
shopsmith.. $191 including the adapter and the stuff you mentioned..
Give me a few weeks, and I'll probably know what all this **** means..
lol

wrote:

[...]

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Mac

Mac you won't be sorry, I'm sure, you will have a very good chuck and
now you will be able to use different ways to turn, but you will still
need the other ways, face plate, spur etc., to turn your wood.
A chuck is not the end and all for every problem, it is just a very good
and quick way for most.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:

Leo.. I have no idea what I need, this will be a completely new
process for me..
I've only turned using face plate, spur or screw center.... I just
figure that if I want to keep learning & turning, I need a chuck...

I got outbid on the Stronghold, so after shopping on the web for a few
hours I ordered the Talon from Shopsmith... at their sale price of
$191 including 5/8 SS adapter, it was the best deal that I could find
in a hurry..

As far as steadiness, it has been great for me for over 20 years, but
I haven't been real sensitive to it, either..
I understand that there is a quill upgrade that doubles the bearings
or something, but I haven't needed it yet... (actually the first time
in quite a while that I've used the SS for anything other than routing
or drilling)

mac davis

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:02:54 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Mac

Mac you won't be sorry, I'm sure, you will have a very good chuck and
now you will be able to use different ways to turn, but you will still
need the other ways, face plate, spur etc., to turn your wood.
A chuck is not the end and all for every problem, it is just a very good
and quick way for most.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I hope you're right, Leo.. I already have a few jobs for the chuck...
Tonight I started a bowl from the firewood stack and as soon as the
bark was turned off, I could see that it was cracked..

Unfortunately, my wife was in the shop, sharpening lathe chisels, so
she saw what I was about to throw away and fell in love with it
(naturally)

I kept it on the face plate and kept chasing the crack until it only
shows a bit on what will be the bowl bottom... used up at least 60% of
the wood to get there...
Now, I have a nicely shaped bowl about 1/3 of the intended size, out
of some unknown wood, and no way to hold the damn thing to hollow it
out!

I usually turn the bark off and flatten the bottom enough to reverse
ends on the faceplate, but this sucker got so small from chasing the
crack, that I can't use a faceplate unless I glue it... I think I'll
wait for the chuck..lol

The good news is that I got to make shavings all day today.. life is
good...

mac davis wrote:

Leo.. I have no idea what I need, this will be a completely new
process for me..
I've only turned using face plate, spur or screw center.... I just
figure that if I want to keep learning & turning, I need a chuck...

I got outbid on the Stronghold, so after shopping on the web for a few
hours I ordered the Talon from Shopsmith... at their sale price of
$191 including 5/8 SS adapter, it was the best deal that I could find
in a hurry..

As far as steadiness, it has been great for me for over 20 years, but
I haven't been real sensitive to it, either..
I understand that there is a quill upgrade that doubles the bearings
or something, but I haven't needed it yet... (actually the first time
in quite a while that I've used the SS for anything other than routing
or drilling)

mac davis

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:30:14 -0500, Anonymous
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:21:07 +0000, mac davis wrote:

The good news is that I got to make shavings all day today.. life is
good...

mac davis wrote:

Funny how that works. No matter what the rest of the day was like, if we
get a chance to make some shavings we can just shrug everything else off.

Bill

yep.. since I quit riding motorcycles, the shop, and especially the
lathe, is my outlet..

I was turning a piece of firewood yesterday and once the bark and crap
were off, saw that it had bore holes in it and wasn't going to be a
bowl..
I just thought "so what, I'm enjoying the turning" and just made
shavings for about 20 minutes..

billh

mac davis wrote:

Funny how that works. No matter what the rest of the day was like, if we
get a chance to make some shavings we can just shrug everything else off.

Bill

yep.. since I quit riding motorcycles, the shop, and especially the
lathe, is my outlet..

I was turning a piece of firewood yesterday and once the bark and crap
were off, saw that it had bore holes in it and wasn't going to be a
bowl..
I just thought "so what, I'm enjoying the turning" and just made
shavings for about 20 minutes..

Depends on the holes. Sometimes they are highly prized.
Billh

mac davis

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:58:00 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

yep.. since I quit riding motorcycles, the shop, and especially the
lathe, is my outlet..

I was turning a piece of firewood yesterday and once the bark and crap
were off, saw that it had bore holes in it and wasn't going to be a
bowl..
I just thought "so what, I'm enjoying the turning" and just made
shavings for about 20 minutes..

Depends on the holes. Sometimes they are highly prized.
Billh

It's from a bunch of walnut that a friend gave me, right before his
wife started shoveling it into the fireplace...
The tree had been dead for about a year and he cut it down for
firewood.. looks like bores killed it.. lots of holes through the
heart which make interesting turnings, but some of it is cross laced
with holes and just falls apart..
But it's pretty wood to learn and practice on and the price was
right... *g*
billh

"Shankhill2" wrote in message
The Stronghold is mostly about being heavier, as the max jaw diameter is
only
about 3/8" bigger than the Talon. One drawback: the Stronghold and Talon
use
different size inserts and jaws, and are not interchangeable. On the
other
hand, all of the OneWay vacuum chuck setups use the Stronghold inserts.
Take
your choice.

I hope by heavier you also mean heavier duty. The body is more robust than
the Talon even though the design is similar. You can buy a larger jaw set
for the Stronghold that isn't available for the Talon plus collets and
mega-jumbo jaws. For the average lathe the Talon is more than enough.
Billh