pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:05:38 GMT
in alt.machines.cnc :
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 03:43:36 GMT, "David Moffitt"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote:
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 04:16:53 GMT, "David Moffitt"
wrote:

%%%% "Carbine" Williams built the prototype to the Garand rifle (M1) totally
with hand tools even to the point of making the barrel from a salvaged
tractor axle.
Firearms have been made for a long time with simple hand tools. I'll build a
22 pistol (possibly even a rifle) with items in your home in 5 minutes.

Mr. Williams was in Prison at the time he invented the M1 Carbine.

Gunner

%%%% Quite correct. He designed and tested the weapon in his mind while in
solitary confinement. Quite a smart man.

Chuckle..the prison warden was approached and being something of a gun
fan, allowed Williams to construct and test fire the weapon in the
prisons workshop. He also aided him in getting Remington and others
to look at the design and the rest is history.

As I understood it (but I am basing it on the movie, starting James
Stewart), Williams designed it in solitary to keep from going bonkers, then
started building it on his breaks. From the movie, I take it that Mr
Williams was your basic cantankerous American who didn't think much of
being told what to do or not to do by government employees.

Carbine Williams was in prison for allegedly killing a tax revenue
agent during a struggle over Williams still.

And then got sent to a prison farm because of a bad attitude in prison.
:-)

tschus
pyotr

--