w_tom

UPS that provides protection are typically building wide
solutions. Why? They include a 'less than 10 foot'
connection to central earth ground. They use same concepts
that keep telephones and emergency response centers working
during direct strikes from thunderstorms. Earthing is the
protection. A protector simply connects an incoming utility
wire to earth ground during the transient. A protector does
not stop what miles of sky could not. Again, the protector -
a shunt mode device - is only as effective as its earth
ground.

Some people make technical decisions based upon word
association. When the UPS or power strip manufacturer claims
to protect from one type of transient, that is translated into
protection from all types of transients. Science based upon
subjective word interpretation is not valid. Without numbers
unique for each type of transient, instead assume the
protector protects from only one transient that typically does
not exist.

Most every plug-in UPS uses the same protector circuit found
in power strip protectors. UPS does nothing better than a
power strip. And both don't make the necessary earth ground -
even if it is a three wire plug. No earth ground means no
effective protection - which is why the much less expensive
protector in a breaker box is recommended.

Get a 'whole house' protector from Home Depot. Have
electrician install that in breaker box. He can also install
a GFCI at same time. The protector costs less than any UPS as
well as makes the necessary connection to earth ground.
Intermatic IG1240RC is one example. Significant hardware
protection typically at a cost of about $1 per protected
appliance.

There is no miracle in plug-in UPSes. But numerous myths
exist. Some background information: "Power Surge" on 29 Sept
2003 in the newsgroup alt.comp.hardware at
http://tinyurl.com/p1rk

Grounded or ungrounded outlets make absolutely no difference
to surge protection. Grounding at the service entrance is
critical. Further details in "Pull the wall plug or not?"
in nz.comp on 7 Sept 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/5ttwl

Jim wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I now know that the outlets are not
grounded. I borrowed a friend's device which determines this and used
it.

I really can't do anything which involves running a wire to a pipe. My
landlord lives right behind me and has warned me that he will not
accept anything unless it is approved and done by his electrician.

Andy you mentioned that there are UPS packages that can provide
protection. Could you point me to one of these? I haven't had any
luck finding any.

I would say that we get maybe 3-4 storms a year...not sure if thats
considered a lot as I've never lived outside hawaii. We have tiled
floors so I guess building up static while walking is less likely? I
can tell you that within the last year (at my old appartment which is
only a few blocks from this one), I've had at least one occurence of
the power blinking out or dimming...which I'm guessing are signs of a
surge.

Now I know that many of you have replied with suggestions and have
answered my question, I appreciate your time very much and I really
want to hear from as many sources as I can get before making this
decision.

I guess I could pose the question this way. If you had $2000 worth of
computer equipment and got 3-4 storms a year, would you risk running it
on ungrounded outlets? Or would you rather move?