Fred

Thanks very much Chuck! Your advice is exactly what I was hoping for.

And, HECK (sorry ladies), I'll just go ahead and screw in a few eye-bolts to
the top and if wind looks like a problem, I'll just string a cord and fasten
them to the trees. Not a big deal. Plus... the lovely wife will have extra
clothes lines, too! Everybody wins!

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
om...
Your solution looks doable.

Here in Calif, privacy fences are a way of life and most of them are six
feet high. If you reduced your top lattice work to one foot in height (or
even fifteen inches), it would offer less wind load and you would still
maintain your privacy. It seems to me that the wind load on a one foot
height should not over-stress your solution, which I assume is lag bolts

and
concrete anchors in the top of the wall. If you're worried about it, here
are a couple suggestions for added strength:

If you have access to the block cores, cut posts to fit and extend them

down
into the core a couple feet. (I'm assuming, however, that there is a
concrete cap that covers the top of the wall and the cores.)

If you don't have access to the block cores, you can still erect posts by
fastening them to the inside of the wall with concrete anchors.

"Fred" wrote in message
Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the

neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top

of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have

be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in

while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way

do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Fred