Larry Jaques

Default Unseen Self-Defense Stories

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 04:20:07 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
calmly ranted:

Gunner said:
While we are waiting...

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/SouthwickJr1.htm
http://www.locksley.com/6696/guns2.htm

I'm not going to more sites tonight, but the figure I read in one of Kleck's
studies, or somebody's, was a projected figure of 500,000. To arrive at that
figure he had to accept all unsubstantiated claims from anyone who said that
by yelling "you'd better leave, I have a gun" he actually caused the wind
that was rattling to windows to cease, in every case. It was a sort of
honor-system survey, which makes me wonder if the author is in the market
for a nice old bridge...

Oh, come on, Ed. Kleck was a true gun -critic- until he did his
research and faced the -truth- aka F A C T S .

But I think that you and everybody who is playing with these statistics are
wasting your time and missing the point. These range wars with statistics
lead nowhere. Gun control isn't about statistics or logic. It's about how
people want to live their lives, what they make of the threat environment
(or lack thereof), and how they want to respond to it. I see two legitimate
points of view about that one. One is that one of the worthiest goals one
can pursue is to spend his or her life trying to eliminate the source of
unnecessary threats in our society. The other is to spend his or her life
preparing to defend oneself and one's family against those threats, and
protecting a right to possess the means to do so. That's anti-gun and
pro-gun (from the self-defense point of view) in case I'm being obscure.

That's a far too simplistic statement, Ed. You see guns as threats?
(worthiest goal/eliminate threats/anti-gun) See the reports from
Australia after banning guns. How is their "worthy goal" serving them,
hmmm?

And this (the hour it takes to decide to buy and keep a gun + half a
day training + a few hours a year practicing) isn't quite as heavy as
your "spending one's life preparing to defend oneself" statement now,
is it? Being alert to one's surroundings should be every person's duty
to themselves, regardless of their position on guns...unless you like
to set yourself up to be mugged.

I don't disparage either point of view. As it happens, I've found a solution
for myself that keeps me from having to waste too much of this short life
worrying about either side: I stay out of ghettos, I don't shop at 7-Eleven
after 10:00 PM, and I never give anyone the finger when I'm stuck in
traffic.

Ditto here. And as to traffic, I try to remember to smile and say
"Thank you!" or "Merry Christmas" to anyone acting like an ass. It
works very subtly and is much better "punishment."

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development