nightjar

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Just bought two of these from Maplin. One I wanted for my computer and the
other I had the idea of using it for my TV. So when TV goes off, DVD,
video and STB go off as well. A pal of mine had a small house fire from a
TV left on standby.

The one for the computer works great. But I am unsure about whether to try
the other on the TV. The problem being that the master socket on the mains
panel is rated at only 5amps. The TV plug has a 13amp fuse and the power
consumption is 150watts. A 13amp fuse seems high to me but I don't
understand the relationship between power consumption and ampage.

The fuse in the plug is only there to limit the current flowing in the flex.
If the flex is rated at 13 amps, then a 13 amp fuse is quite correct. The
consumption of the TV is irrelevant to the rating of the fuse in the plug.
The TV should have its own internal overcurrent protection, matched to its
actual consumption.

Colin Bignell