Steve Jones

Christian McArdle wrote:
I could just try it and see but I would like to understand it a bit more
first. Does the TV really need a 13amp fuse?

No it doesn't, unless it is quite a huge thing that could stretch to a 5A
(my hungry 36" CRT model is happy on 3A). Remove it immediately and replace
it with a 3A fuse. Everything in your house should have a 3A fuse, with some
exceptions for high rated appliances, usually involving powerful motors or
heating elements. The exceptions which require 13A might include:

washing machines
tumble dryers
dishwashers
kettles
microwave ovens
conventional ovens
toasters
vacuum cleaners
fridges/freezers (some will be happy with 5A)

Anything to do with lighting or entertainment should have a 3A fuse (or
lower if you can find supplies). I would suggest going around your house and
examining every fuse to be the right value. Whilst doing this, ensure that
the following look good:

1. Cable condition.
2. Strain relief on plug and appliance ends.
3. Outer sheaf goes all the way into plug and is secure.
4. No blackening of plug pins or socket.
5. Appliance cases in good condition.
6. Plugs fit securely and tightly in sockets.
7. No cracks on sockets or plugs.
8. No more than 2 multiways in a daisy chain. Preferably none at all.

Then get one of those plug in testers with the neon lights. Plug it into
every socket in the house INCLUDING any multiway adapters. Ensure that all 3
lights come on.

Obviously, even better would be to get the whole installation tested and all
appliances PAT tested, but this is unlikely to happen, unlike the simple
cheap tests above.

Christian.

and while I'm at it I might as well go up onto the roof and check the
tiles/pointing/guttering etc.