Set Square

Steve Jones wrote:

Just bought two of these from Maplin. One I wanted for my computer and
the other I had the idea of using it for my TV. So when TV goes off,
DVD, video and STB go off as well. A pal of mine had a small house
fire from a TV left on standby.

The one for the computer works great. But I am unsure about whether to
try the other on the TV. The problem being that the master socket on
the mains panel is rated at only 5amps. The TV plug has a 13amp fuse
and the power consumption is 150watts. A 13amp fuse seems high to me
but I don't understand the relationship between power consumption and
ampage.

I could just try it and see but I would like to understand it a bit
more first. Does the TV really need a 13amp fuse?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Steve

In simple terms, watts = volts x amps, or amps = watts/volts

So if your TV is 150 watts, it takes a current of 150/240 amps = 0.625 amps.

It sounds like a 13A fuse is a bit of an overkill - even allowing for a
slight surge on turn-on!

Your intelligent mains panel should work fine with the TV.
--
Cheers,
Set Square