RichardS noone@invalid wrote:

There's got to be some solution to this - after all many hotels have smoke
detectors and also have smoking bedrooms. Why not call a manufacturer and
see what the suggest, of failing that your area's fire prevention officer?

My attempts at getting a response from either manufacturers or the
Suffolk fire service have failed completely so far. Maybe I could try
London fire service as the flat is in London.

Not a lot of help there either.

If you hunt around for contact details of a 'fire prevention officer'
you can rarely find anything. The fire brigade sites have lots of
links to publicity campaigns and government sites saying how we should
fit smoke alarms etc., etc. but there's not a lot of real information
on how to go beyond sticking a cheap battery alarm in the hall and in
the landing.

In fact if you do a Google UK sites search for "fire prevention officer"
you get very few hits for any actual such beings. Most of the hits
are suggesting you get in touch with one or about people who were one
once.

--
Chris Green