Joe Doe

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Joe Doe" wrote in message

I have taken my mower in twice for warranty work and was VERY well
treated (they put in a new blade gratis etc.). On the second visit

If it was truly good quality, it would not have to go back in for warranty
service. Twice.

Which is why, I mentioned what the nature of the repairs were - I may
have unintentionally caused the first mishap (freewheeling motor which
did not drive the blade) by occasionally using the mower to mulch small
amounts of brush (very small - generally less than 1/2 inch brush).

The second time it failed only the brushes needed replacing. If I knew
it was not under warranty I would have tried to troubleshoot better and
probably have discovered it myself. Assuming it was under warranty I
did not bother to troubleshoot at all. Two years for a set of brushes
on a mower is not really that bad. Incidentally, before I bought this
mower I shared a B&D electric mower with a friend for about 5 years. It
did two yards of less than 5000 sq ft for that length of time and is
still in use at my friends home (now going on eight years). Over that
time, the deadman switch became a bit iffy (had to pull it way past the
natural stop to get the mower to run). The same service center
diagnosed this problem when I took my new mower in and sold me a $10
part for the repair of the old mower). I had a generally trouble free
eight years and avoided breathing gas fumes which alone is worth it to
me. I seriously doubt anybody with a gas mower could have a more trouble
free experience.

Based on my experience I really believe at least their corded electric
mower is a good product (for smaller yards) and hope my second one
continues to perform as well as the first.

The service center I went to was a DeWalt service center and they were
nothing but ultra professional - did not ask me to produce a receipt,
verified warranty status based on serial number, gave me a courtesy
discount on other stuff, threw in a new blade on the mower. All these
steps engender customer loyalty - they acknowledge the product should
not have failed and make small gestures in recognition of this. So
despite the torrent of negative press I am quite happy to defend Black
and Decker on at least this product and their after sales service as it
relates to this product.

Good to hear they have good customer service though. B & D is no longer the
quality it was years ago. Serviceable stuff the the light user, but nothing
of interest for a tradesman.

Yes but the price reflects this. If a Panasonic or Makita drill cost
$150- $200 + and a B&D costs half to a third or a fourth as much it is
silly to expect a premium product. If people shelled out equivalent
dollars their complaints would be more credible.

Roland