Silvan

GeeDubb wrote:

Personally I'd wait to get some walnut as I don't care for mahogany.
Walnut
has so much more character. If you have a good trumpet then I'd wait for

I'm glad someone agrees with the principle. When walnut is available, why
use anything else?

the right selection of walnut for the case. If you have a pea shooter
trumpet like mine then........

It's not a fancy trumpet. Just an Olds Ambassador student model. I've
about talked myself out of doing the case because this thing will live on a
trumpet stand 90% of the time anyway. I almost never travel with it, and I
don't expect having a fancy case is going to make it any more likely that I
will suddenly become a social butterfly and make a bunch of music playing
friends. No hurry on the case at all, so I can wait until I can do it the
way I want, or maybe not do it at all.

would be awesome. If you use the mahogany you'll always be wondering how
much better it would have looked with walnut.

And there is definitely that. I'm just not seeing mahogany here. But for a
chess box... Sure, that will look fine I guess.

Hafta get into scraping though. Whatever species this is has some really
nasty looking reversing grain. Every other growth layer on this board has
massive tearout from the lumber yard's planer. I haven't hit it with a
well tuned hand plane yet, but I'm thinking I may well have to scrape
everything.

Now you have me thinking of making a nice case for my wife's flute (much
more than a pea shooter as she still plays and I don't)

Just don't make it so nice she decides she has to put one of those $50,000
jobs in there.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/