Fred

Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:47:38 GMT, (Fred) wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:15:50 +0000, Fred wrote:

snip
Oh no.

OK to rescue this I think you will have to rework a few pipes.
You need to get the boiler fed from as far back as possible.
Please measure the full on flow rate of the cold tap at the kitchen sink
or garden tap [1].
If you get 16l/min or more you are probably going to be able to rescue the
system. It might help to put a restriction on the flow immediately after
the T to the boiler feed.

Having drowned my disappointment in a couple of pints the other day, I
can now think more clearly ;-) Measured the flow rate and immediately
realised the problem: I get round about 6l/min

Measured where though? Was it the same tap with no changes in the
kitchen that you describe below?

To call what I do when I measure measure is a bit much. I estimate
with a bucket, or rather with the capacity of the sink as measured by
the bucket.

It's quite consistent througout the house now at about 6l/min as
opposed to about 15l/min beforehand. Various forms of tap (bath,
shower, sink) have already differed beforehand, but the ballpark
figures remain the same.

But was this from the roof tank for the bath before? The hot
certainly would have been, but was the cold tank fed as well? This
sort of range sounds typical for a tank over one floor through 22mm
pipe.

Now *that* is a good point. Naive as I am I never assumed that all
cold comes from mains rather than tank. But I have one more point to
make: we knew beforehand that flowrate would be a problem. We
therefore did a very basic test by opening all cold water taps in the
house. We saw an effect but still got decent enough flow rate on all
of them. Right now, we cannot even open two cold water taps anymore
without one of them going, uh, silent.

It could be some crud that has been dislodged during the plumbing.

That means to me: check main stop cock on the street, check the attic
and the way the tank was handled during the conversion. But after
that: opening all the floorboards and check on all the piping.

Would this be reason enough to withhold payment for the job btw?

Fred