Fred

"Ed Sirett" wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:15:50 +0000, Fred wrote:

snip
Oh no.

OK to rescue this I think you will have to rework a few pipes.
You need to get the boiler fed from as far back as possible.
Please measure the full on flow rate of the cold tap at the kitchen sink
or garden tap [1].
If you get 16l/min or more you are probably going to be able to rescue the
system. It might help to put a restriction on the flow immediately after
the T to the boiler feed.

Having drowned my disappointment in a couple of pints the other day, I
can now think more clearly ;-) Measured the flow rate and immediately
realised the problem: I get round about 6l/min.

Now before you laugh, we measured flow rate before the job was
started. At the kitchen tap which is one of those mixers that increase
pressure through smaller pipes, we measured 11l/min and in the bath we
averaged between 15 and 18l/min by way of filling a bucket...

This leads to my question: am I right assuming that some isolation
valve or stop cock or whatever must be at fault here as the combi does
not influence the cold water flow rate? If so, where do I need to look
- or rather, where do I need to make my plumber look.

Tried the main stop cock on the street (there is no stop tap in the
house) and could not even see an influence of a few turns. I turned
clock wise for a while. Checked the isolation valves at various places
but could not find anything reasonable. Do I have to check at the
disused tanks in the loft? But I don't really know what to look for...

Sorry for my ignorance. You would have thought that plumbers are
getting paid to do this kind of work I am learning the hard way that
they only do as they are told.

Fred