mac davis

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 07:48:29 -0500, "Rick Spivey"
wrote:

I wouldn't waste money on the hb chuck either, i did and it will not hold
anything. no dovetails inside or outside. save your money and head.

thanks, Rick...
I've had good luck with some HF stuff, but usually avoid anything
involving precision...
Their site was just a quick way to get a few pics of chucks..

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On 05 Dec 2004 05:52:40 GMT, (Jim Gott) wrote:

I looked at chucks at HF for reference, and they say "for use with
square, rectangular or odd shaped pieces"... is round an odd shape, or
am I missing something here?
BRBR

I wouldn't waste time or money on that chuck. It's basically a
metalworking
chuck adapted for wood, but the jaws are too narrow to do much good. Look
at
Craft Supplies USA's site to see what a woodturning chuck should look
like, and
specifically at the following link

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...ion&keywords=n
ova-midi-chuck

to see the Technatool Nova Midi Chuck, a quality yet reasonably priced
chuck
for small work. At about $120 it's the least expensive good quality chuck
I've
seen. Don't waste your money on the HF chuck.

As you will see with all the chucks we normally use, the jaws close to a
full
circle, and are usually dovetail shaped in cross section. One exception is
the
Oneway chuck which has serrated jaws.

-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

that looks like a great chuck, Jim... but way over my budget...
I think the hot glue might be the way to go for now... for $120 I
could buy her a lot of jars and lids.. lol