James Sweet

wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 05:55:04 GMT, "Fred"
wrote:

In my experience over the past 5 years or so, Black & Decker haven't made

decent electric tool/appliance. I have bought one of their small

drills,
then returned it when the motor seized up after 2 months. The replacement
worked for a year, then the motor developed an open circuit. Same for a
small jig saw -- the blade moved up and down at about a 5-degree angle

off
vertical. The same for a small electric screwdriver.

The company must have been taken over by some Wall Street group to suck

the
assets out of it, I don't know. Their stuff used to be quite good, but

now
I wouldn't touch any of their stuff, sorry to say.

Fred

I feel the same way. I had some B&D tools that lasted forever. I
used swear by their tools. Now I swear at them. I bought one of
their drills 1 1/2 years ago. It had a keyless chuck. I have never
been fond of those things, but most hold if you burn the **** out of
your hand tightening them. Not this one. I dont hold anything. I
contacted the company. They told me to take it to a service center.
I checked, the nearest center is 130 miles away. I contacted them and
told them I am not going that far. They said that is all they can do
for me. I bought a saber saw a year ago. I used it about 8 times.
Last week I was cutting a piece of thin sheet metal with a metal
cuting blade. Suddenly the blade stopped moving, yet the motor kept
running. There went the cheap plastic gears. I;m sure they will tell
me to drive 130 miles again. I tossed the drill in the trash, because
there was no way to remove the chuck. I guess the saw will be next to
add to the garbage heap. I will never buy another B&D tool.

Mark

I'd forgotten about the drill, my mom has one of those pieces of crap, I'm
always cursing at it whenever I end up having to use it over there because I
can't drill through anything without the drill bit spinning in the chuck.