John

I'm sure to get a lot of negative responses for this, but here goes:

Go to the library and read every book you can on residential construction.
Rent the excavation equipment and do everything yourself. Have a licensed
engineer draw and stamp the prints and ask him about any code questions you
may have. I built my own ~3600 sqft house. I did everything on it and 95% of
my knowledge came from the local library and questions posed to the local
building officials and engineer. The inspector never came back twice for the
same inspection. I spent ~$165k for materials and land. I sold it a year
later for $227k. The equity I made was well worth the late nights and
weekends.

Residential construction is one of the easier trades. If you have a small to
moderate amount of common sense, can read and understand codes written to a
9th grade level, and remember most of your high school math, you'll have no
problems.

Biggest thing of all is be prepared and organized prior to starting the
project and you'll do ok.