mac davis

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:46:52 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Mac

I assume you do not have a lathe chuck, and the firewood will be turned
not plank wise but lengthwise, I would not use a screw in that case, and
turn the chunks into cylinders between centers, then screw a disk to
your face plate and turn a flat bottom depression in that will fit your
smallest cylinder, glue the piece in and turn your box, part off, cut or
scrape out the depression to fit your next cylinder, etc.
If you use dry wood you can glue it in with hot glue, whenever I have
used hot glue I always used my propane torch to heat the wood then put
on the glue.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

ok.. I think from the 2 replies, I need a chuck..
you're right about the length.. right now I'm turning the branches
between centers with a spur to get the blanks round...
Next I'll cut them roughly to length and then the problem occurs..
(years of Shopsmith use have made me a "plan ahead" kinda guy)

I looked at chucks at HF for reference, and they say "for use with
square, rectangular or odd shaped pieces"... is round an odd shape, or
am I missing something here?