Lurch

Default SDS - DeWalt or Makita & Difference between SDS & SDS Plus

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:53:30 GMT, "Seri"
wrote:

So there I am, just about ready to buy a power planer (as asked about in the
group earlier) when temptation overcomes me and I decide to bite the bullet
and get an SDS drill whilst I'm at it. I do need one and it will be getting
a fair ammount or use around the house during my rewire.

After perusing the ScrewFix and Toolstation websites I pretty much have it
down to a choice of two:
Makita 2kg SDS - 780w - 1100rpm - 4500bpm - 2.4kg = £120
DeWalt 2kg SDS Plus - 650w - 1100rpm - 4200bpm - 2.4kg = £110

A few quick questions before I make my choice:
the Makita has a higher rated bpm, but does that actually matter that much?
the Makita has a higher rated wattage, does that actually matter?
the Makita is listed in the 'SDS Plus' section of the ScrewFix website, can
I presume that it is 'SDS Plus'?
does 'SDS Plus' matter, or are all SDS drills 'SDS Plus'?
Is the DeWalt brand better than the Makita brand or vice versa?

Sorry to pester the group over this, and any responses are appreciated.

SDS is the first type of SDS drill, the difference is in the way the
bit and chuck mechanism was. IIRC the slots\grooves are slightly
different. The SDS bit's won't fit in more recent SDS drills. (If you
can find any!) All drills are referred to as SDS but are all SDS plus
of late.
As for the DeWalt\Makita poser, I've got several of each, of different
sizes, I think the Makita has the edge for durability and power, but
only just. For occasional DIY work you probably won't notice much of a
difference and both are miles better than a normal hammer drill
anyway.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.