N. Thornton

(Tony Jackson) wrote in message om...

a) Drilling it all over and injecting gripfil or latex self-levelling
compound etc (whatever will stick the render back onto the wall)

Any cracks at all in render will let water in but not let it evaporate
out, so this is not an option.

b) Removing all the old render myself and painting the wall directly.

Currently b) is my preferred option because I believe the bricks will
be OK under the blown render.

Would this be a big mistake?

Please advise.

b should be fine, if the bricks are mostly in one piece, and you make
sure the pointings ok. But better would be let the render fall off and
dont paint the bricks. If theres render on them, as there will be,
knock the lumps off, gently enough to not break any bricks, wire brush
whats left down to 1mm or so, (rotary brush in angle grinder) then use
brick acid to remove what remains. Yes its extra work, but it will
look miles better, perform better damp-wise, need far less maintenance
than paint, and since its only cosmetic work there's no rush to do it.

In fact, if the wall underneath is ok, theres no rush to do anything
at all, just a matter of cosmetics.

BTW your other option is to remove loose render and rernder in lime,
but I wouldnt myself, unless I was desperate for time.

If OTOH the wall underneath is structurally precarious, eg the bricks
are badly disintegrated, it may be necessary to rerender.

NT