Terry Pinnell

John Rumm wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I know nothing about these things, so would appreciate a few words
from anyone who does please. Is that really likely to be the cause?
IOW, condensation building up sufficiently to leak out?

I did have a plastic cold water tank that sprang a slow leak (it cracked
near on of the corners - enough to let through a small trickle of drips).

Another possiblity, do you have a hot water cylinder heated from a
boiler? Does it have an expansion pipe that returns to the cold tank? If
so, it might be worth checking that there is no hot water being
delivered into the cold tank by the vent pipe. If so that would indicate
a problem with the heating. The result would be lots more condensation.

Thanks for all those helpful replies. Cause was almost certainly the
simplest, i.e. 16-year old valve not shutting off. I was poised with
spanners but chickened out! Plumber cost me £75 altogether. Finished
in about 20 mins. Only difficult moment was getting old metal one
undone - that's where I would have been worried about breaking it. It
was also fairly tricky getting the 'lid' back on, but the two of us
eventually managed that. Cladding now looks somewhat untidy, but don't
suppose that matters a lot.

I have just noticed that, after running water, there is a lot of noisy
'hissing' as tank refills. Seems to be coming from all pipes en route
to the tank and at the valve itself. Definitely wasn't that high
pitched noise before. What is likely cause of that please? Sounds sort
of like air in the pipes.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

--