Kalico

Default More Questions - Electrical sockets

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:09:57 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

Hi all

When fitting an electrical socket, should the edge of the mounting box be
flush with the outer surface of the wall?

Ideally, yes.

So for example, if your plasterboard is 10mm thick fixed onto 25mm

batten,
should you use 35mm mounting boxes.

Or can you get away with using 25mm mounting boxes?

You could, but you might need to buy longer fixing bolts for the
sockets.

I would like to fit all my mounting boxes before I fix the plasterboard.

was hoping that once the plasterboard was fitted I could just drill and

open
up the hole over the mounting box. However, if the mounting box was 35 mm

wouldn't be able to fix the plasterboard on (unless I had created the

hole
in the plasterboard first - which I don't want to do)

Another approach is to buy plasterboard boxes. For these, you cut
holes in the plasterboard after fixing. The boxes then push into
place and there are fixing clips captive in the box which then push
into position behind the board The fitting bolts then secure
everything..

Thanks for your time.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You can use dry lining boxes but I only use them if wiring a new socket into
an existing plasterboard wall.

If I was doing what the original poster said, I would use metal, fixed to
the wall, maybe even on a small wooden pattress to push forward a bit, and
then cut a hole in the plasterboard afterwards.

HTH
Rob