BigWallop

"Sarah M." wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

"RR" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:54:50 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Good luck with your auction though.

I've only started using this group, but looking at the quality of your
comments, BigWallop, you certainly strike me as the "village asshole".

You have noticed too. Sad.

I'm kind of amazed that the simple posting of a book for sale on an NG
can create such a furore. I am actually a private person who sells on
Ebay as a hobby,or rather to provide a smallish income whilst I bring
up the sprogs.
My own opinion,is that the odd advert from individual sellers is not
particularly offensive on any newsgroup...it's not as though I'm a
giant corporation or anything.
I post to the textiles NGs and although we have a marketplace ng,
people often ignore the fact and post adverts.Do we get overexcited
about it? Nope, not usually.
My view is that ngs that are mainly populated by men have a higher
than usual quota of "trainspotter" types who are easily given to bouts
of agitation when their territory is invaded.
But...I might be wrong! ;-))

love
Sarah

You're right that you're wrong. A book sale is the best place to sell and
advertise books, I'd have thought. The people using this group, and there
are ladies in here too, are usually competent enough to have already bought
or sought books and instruction manuals on the things we discuss in this
group.

The group is normally used by DIYers who need further tips on a project they
are, or about to be, undertaking. They never normally come in here to ask
who's selling books on medieval brick laying. Well, not in my experience
anyways.

We don't take free advertising in the group to lightly, mainly, because it
would be to easy for any of the actual trades people that are giving advice
here to tell people that they can come round and the job for them at a
price. That's advertising your wares, isn't it?

You didn't even have the common courtesy to place the universal symbol "OT"
meaning "Off Topic" at the beginning of your post. This might have at least
warned people of the nature of your post.

You also didn't post an explanation of your intention to post an advert in
an OFF TOPIC for book sales newsgroup. Your first posting could have been
in the nature of "I'm in possession of a book about medieval brick laying
that I'd like to sell, would anyone mined if I placed details in the group
to tell people about it?". You may have got a good few responses from the
users about the kinds of things it has tell about. You may even have been
asked how much you wanted for it.

But, to blatantly come in here to sell your wares to people who are to busy
with their own DIY techniques, is, in my opinion, really daft.

So, again, you're right that you're wrong.