Vic

Well that does certainly say 12V DC 20mA, though I suspect it might be a
typo on the adapter. I say go for it and try the 300mA adapter, it should
work just fine.

Morning James

Had a look at the back of the deck. Has a nameplate but nothing on it and
nothing written by any of the connections. However, further along the back
from the connections is written "12V=DC".

Anyhow I have tried it this morning with a replacement adapter. The
turntable starts to spin but gradually slows to a stop and requires a gentle
push to get it going. It then works ok. Could possably be the belt on the
way out (thank god these are easily available) or just needs to be used to
get it going freely again. Time will tell. Don't really want to fork out for
another deck for how often I use it.

Thanks for your help James and everybody else that took time to offer
advice. I appreciate it. I would have tried the adapter in the end if nobody
had responded but its better to get the advice of others more knowledgeable
if you can.

Kindest regards to all
Vic