Alexander Galkin

My time does have value. And although I earned 3 times more then an average
tradesmen annually their per hour rate (this is what actually you are paying
them) exceeds probably that of some CEOs. In area where I live it is just
astronomical. Initially I wanted to hire a contractor to install a sewage
ejector pump and change plumbing in my basement when I was building a
basement bath. I called several plumbers to get quotes. One said that job
was too tough and refused even to consider it. Other gave quotes around
$5500. I was shocked. Finally, having no prior plumbing experience but very
good understanding what and how to do I did everything myself in three days.
I did though made one mistake found by a plumbing inspector and that took me
one more day to correct. cost of material was about $200. Besides obvious
economic benefits of doing myself there are two others that other people my
not share. First I really like building, I enjoy it. Second I hate so much
to deal with contractors. I had very little experience with contractors and
almost all of it is negative. I would rather learn to do and then do
something myself then spend time calling several tradesmen, collecting
quotes, bargaining with them, supervising them, etc.

"Lyle B. Harwood" wrote in message
nc.com...
In article , Alexander Galkin
wrote:

? Is above what I can really do myself or it is not worth it?

If your time has value, you will be ahead to hire pros.

If your time has no value, how will you pay for materials?

In any case, the first thing you need is a design, from a licensed,
local architect.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

--
Lyle B. Harwood, President
Phoenix Homes, Inc.