Tom Baker

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in message ...
I am planning an addition to my 2 story colonial. The addition is actually
extending first floor along the side facing backyard. The addition will be
50 ft long by 6 ft wide. I want to do as much as I can myself leaving to pro
only that part of the job that I absolutely cannot do or make no sense to do
myself. I have moderate experience in framing, plumbing, electrical,
insulation, drywalling and have all necessary power tools to do the job. I
do not have any experience in building foundation or putting joist-beam
floor system. I am weighing two options for the addition foundation: crawl
space and full basement. Here I have several questions:

1. While I realize that every project has it many specifics what the
approximate cost would be to excavate hole for the 50 ft x 6X ft addition
foundation, build the foundation walls and slab, backfill and put the floor
with no subfloor? I line in Central NJ.

2. What's the approximate cost difference of building full basement vs.
crawl space? Frost line in my area is 3 ft so trenches for the footings must
be dug 3 ft at least.

3. What's the approximate cost and benefits difference of concrete
monolithic vs.cinder blocks foundation? My house (55 years old) foundation
is built using cinder block with I believe no rebar reinforcement.

4. Is it feasible both economically and from time perspective trying to do
some of foundation work myself? Could you advise me if any of the following
foundation tasks I can do myself or I should forget about them and leave
them to pro:

- building footing forms and put rebar in them

- renting gas powered concrete mixer or get ready mixed concrete and build
footings myself

- building foundation walls using cinder blocks

Is above what I can really do myself or it is not worth it? I have limited
experience with concrete (redoing parts of basement slab after installing
underslab plumbing)

I believe having foundation built and floor put I can take over enlisting my
Dad's and friend's help to put frame, siding, roof, plumbing, electrical and
internal finish.

Any comments and advise would be greatly appreciated.

That's a lot of work for an extra six feet!
Have you checked with zoning and the building department?
Have you worked out the structural requirements for openings in the
existing wall?
Is there room to move equipment from the street to the back of the
house?
Is there enough vertical distance to fit a roof below the second story
window sills?
Do the existing mechanical & electrical systems have capacity for the
addition?
If the existing basement wall is unreinforced, how is the new wall to
be tied to it?

The cost of excavation has to include digging next to an existing
unreinforced wall without colapsing it; excavating one large enough to
accomodate working room and the angle of repose of the earch;
disposing of the extra earth.

There is more that needs to be taken into account before begining and
the cost to design the work will be no less than for a much larger
addition, since there are some things that must always be done.

Tom Baker