Barry N. Turner

Say what? You're gonna need wood for turning aren't you?

Barry

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On 3 Dec 2004 05:59:57 -0800, (Gary DeWitt) wrote:

I'm not sure if I'll need the stability or not, since I've got 120# of
steel tubing (to be filled with concrete for even greater wieght) and
about 70# of Mesquite earmarked for making the lathe stand, but I'm
sure it can't hurt anything, either! But I also can't afford to get
a good set of turning tools until after the hollidays

(snip)

Let me get this straight, you are not made of money, yet you are going
to make your lathe stand of $8-$10/BF MESQUITE? I have the lathe you
are getting (not a bad lathe for a beginner, I've been happy with it
for about a year). I made a stand out of construction lumber, 2x6 legs
and 2x12 top, the legs splay at about a 7 degree angle to the sides
and 5 degrees to the front and back. Tied together with drywall screws
and 3/4 plywood sides, 2 2x4 stringers at the bottom. Made a melemine
drawer unit to fit inside the base, tapered front to back but not side
to side. Filled with tools, sandpaper, blanks, etc., it weights the
lathe just fine. Send me the mesquite and I'll build you one in
exchange!

Here's the deal with that- The steel is cheap because I am a steel
sawyer by trade, and get it at cost. The Mesquite was free because my
father found it quite some time ago when he was working as a long-haul
truck driver. I don't have a use for 8/4 mesquite right this minute,
so I'm going to use it as a really nice looking lathe mount, and then
if I discover a good use for it later, I won't have chopped it up into
something I didn't want or need!

ֿ֬

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam