Bob

"Mikhael47" wrote in message

"Eunoia Eigensinn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Miller wrote:
In article

.com,
"Eunoia Eigensinn" wrote:

Mikhael47 wrote:
[snip]
I also have a breaker on this circuit. I may just
swap it out for a GFCI breaker instead.

Mike

Mike;

That may not be a good idea.

I have GFI breakers at the panel for all of my outdoor

circuits and
interior circuits like those to bathroom & kitchen

outlets.

But I also have GFI outlet receptacles installed.

A pointless waste of time and money, as those circuits

_already_have_
ground
fault protection from the GFI breakers. What do you suppose

the GFI
receptacles provide, that the GFI breakers do not?

The GFI breakers protect the wiring but will not do much

to prevent
someone from being electrocuted at the point of use.

Half right, anyway: GFI breakers do protect the wiring. But

they also
provide
ground-fault protection against electrocution.

Think about it for just two seconds: you described

accurately the
behavior of
a *standard* (non-GFI) breaker. Now how might a GFI breaker

behave
differently?

Hint: what do the letters GFI stand for?

Do some Googling on the subject and you should find an

authoritative
explanation.

You seem to be in need of one yourself...

Actually, you would benefit from your own advice: Think about

it.

For instance, it's not unreasonable for an outdoor receptacle

point of
use to be 100 ft from the breaker panel.
I'll leave you to take it from there.

I agree with you on this one.... The length of the run involved

is quite
long (about 100ft considering I have two other outlets on the

same circuit).
I'd be worried that it wouldn't trip fast enough if the GFI was

at the
panel. I think I'll nix that idea.

What the .... does the distance from the panel have to do with
anything? Electrocution current is on the order of milliamps.

Bob