Frank Ketchum

"bob" wrote in message
. ..
Ref: my July 16 post. Okay, I messed up pretty good. I got in a hurry
last week to make some white mahogany (aka "primavera") plywood to back a
china cabinet under construction. I did not go back and re-read the posts
and follow the good suggestions offered up by this forum. No, I just
slapped some white glue on my thin stock and backing board (cheap 1/4"
ply), stuck them together without crossing the grain and weighted them
down with gas cans, cement bags - anything lying around. Surprised me,
but the end product looked pretty good. A week later, the boards were
cupped and the thin stock had split. Ruined.

So, learn from my mistake.

This weekend, I'm going to follow the forum advice - use contact cement, a
J roller, and cross the grain. Hopefully, I will have better results.

I would suggest using MDF (1/2" or 3/4") instead of the cheap POS plywood
from the borg. It is much more stable. Check and see if you can buy on
ebay some veneer of your wood and attach it to the substrate. I would use
either regular wood glue and a roller and follow with even pressure until it
sets (a couple layers of plywood on top and bottom with weight on top). I
hear ebay is a great source for veneers. Be sure to veneer both sides to
prevent warping (or will you ignore advice again?

Frank