Roger wrote:

You might try rec.gardens, too.

wrote in message ...
Part of my yard is a downhill slope toward the house.
For years grass grew there. It died a year or so ago. I planted more
(via seed). It died again this summer (area is under a tree)
Now I am looking for something to throw on the bare ground to stop soil
from washing down onto driveway. Suggestions (from experience please).

LB

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I did not make myself clear.
I do not really care about growing anything, even though I will try the
local ag agent. I would be happy with pine bark, pebbles or whatever.
Anything to stop soil from washing away. BUT it can not be too heavy or
the weight will kill the tree by smothering the roots.

LB