Default Ground cover suggestions please

Part of my yard is a downhill slope toward the house.
For years grass grew there. It died a year or so ago. I planted more
(via seed). It died again this summer (area is under a tree)
Now I am looking for something to throw on the bare ground to stop soil
from washing down onto driveway. Suggestions (from experience please).

LB
David Martel

LB,

Look in your phonebook in the "government" section. Usually there's a
county agricultural extension service office. There should be a master
gardener who will know your soil and climate. You'll probably need to do a
soil test

Good luck,
Dave M.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message ...
Part of my yard is a downhill slope toward the house.
For years grass grew there. It died a year or so ago. I planted more
(via seed). It died again this summer (area is under a tree)
Now I am looking for something to throw on the bare ground to stop soil
from washing down onto driveway. Suggestions (from experience please).

LB

it would depend upon where you are. if you were near me, i'd recommend
decomposed granite, a couple 2 ton boulders, and a bunch of cactus.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Terry

wrote in message ...
Part of my yard is a downhill slope toward the house.
For years grass grew there. It died a year or so ago. I planted more
(via seed). It died again this summer (area is under a tree)
Now I am looking for something to throw on the bare ground to stop soil
from washing down onto driveway. Suggestions (from experience please).

LB

Similar problem here although area is level. Trees planted as seedlings are
now 30 years old.
Depending on your climate try clover; or even a good layer of moss which
seems to grow well under our maple amd beech trees!
IIRC Clover also helps replenish nitrogen in soil? But local advice prob
best idea.

rck

it would depend upon where you are. if you were near me, i'd recommend
decomposed granite, a couple 2 ton boulders, and a bunch of cactus.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Add in a barrel cactus or two, but beware those chollas. They can be nasty
if you back into 'em. Nice thing about Arizona is that you can hire an
illegal groundskeeper to take care of these problems at one tenth the cost.
:-)

Bob

wrote in message ...
Part of my yard is a downhill slope toward the house.
For years grass grew there. It died a year or so ago. I planted more
(via seed). It died again this summer (area is under a tree)
Now I am looking for something to throw on the bare ground to stop soil
from washing down onto driveway. Suggestions (from experience please).

LB

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I did not make myself clear.
I do not really care about growing anything, even though I will try the
local ag agent. I would be happy with pine bark, pebbles or whatever.
Anything to stop soil from washing away. BUT it can not be too heavy or
the weight will kill the tree by smothering the roots.

LB
Roger

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I did not make myself clear.
I do not really care about growing anything, even though I will try the
local ag agent. I would be happy with pine bark, pebbles or whatever.
Anything to stop soil from washing away. BUT it can not be too heavy or
the weight will kill the tree by smothering the roots.

Now that you've cleared that up, here is another plan.
I've used heavy duty dark grey or black fiberglass landscaping cloth from
home depot, pinned down with plastic spikes made for this purpose.. It
kills existing weeds by starving them of light, but allows warmth and rain
to percolate to the roots of the overhanging tree. It also acts like a
mulch, so new weeds will not get a foothold. Once you decide to plant ground
cover, you just cut X-shaped slices and fold back, and plant, then refold
the cloth up against the plant.
Be sure you get the *heavy* grade of cloth, as the light stuff, which is
trashbag style poly film with perforations, is useless. The heavyweight
comes in big rolls and is about 1/8th inch thick and looks like a bedcover
or blanket, is made of glass felt, and resists rotting and tearing. If
after installing, you don't like the look of it, you can scatter pine
needles or dry hay over it until you decide to plant.
Works like a charm.