J. Clarke

Leon wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
JMWEBER987 wrote:

There are polyurethane-based varnishes and there are varnishes with other
bases and there are polyurethane-based coatings that are not varnishes.

All varnish is not polyurethane

True. Shellac and Paint are "Varnishes".

and all polyurethane is not varnish.

False. Unless you are relating to something like Polyurethane Glue.

Now let's see, I guess that Imron, Awlgrip, and Irathane are all varnishes.
I guess that the 3M 8561 Transparent Film that we used to use to protect
the heaters on the DHC-7 was a varnish.

Varnish is a generic term for anything that is used for the protection or
decoration of surfaces and may be transparent, translucent, or tinted.

I see. So the piece of lucite I have covering my desktop is varnish? After
all it's used for protection of a surface and is transparent. Polyurethane
refers to large family of plastics with varied properties and uses. While
it is used for transparent coatings, that is only one minor use to which it
is put. Take a look at http://www.irproducts.com/ for a wide range of
polurethane products most of which are not adhesives or surface coatings.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)